Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 1: Famous Last Words

To be honest, when I first looked at the webpage and calendar for this class, I was a bit overwhelmed. It took a bit of practice to get familiar with navigating the website, and it seemed like there would be a lot of work to do. I was a bit worried about keeping track of everything and remembering which assignments to do every day. However, having nearly completed the Orientation Week assignments, I now feel more confident and even excited about the class. I will definitely need to remind myself to work ahead! Based on this week’s work, I think the course will be very manageable.

I also enjoyed the content of the course. I thought Sita Sings the Blues was really cool, and I ended up watching the whole thing. I’m excited to read more of the Indian epics, since I’ve studied them before and I know the general characters and stories, but I’ve never read a full version. It was also fun for me to do some creative writing in my first Storytelling post. I haven’t really done anything but academic writing in quite a while, but I enjoy writing fiction and making up stories and dialogue for characters. Plus, it’s always fun to take a story and switch it up, spoof it, add to it, and otherwise make it your own.

I’m taking several other courses that have to do with religion, stories, and people, in some combination, this semester. I’m taking a course on the Qur’an and an Honors course called “American Religious Experience through Biography”. So, I think it will be interesting this semester to see the concept of religion and story play out in different ways, with different focuses, in these courses.  


In other news, how ridiculous is parking here? I circled three different lots for a total of fifteen minutes today, and there was not a single spot open. Finally, I returned to the first lot and found an open metered spot. I took it, but I did not pay the meter; I’ve already paid $250 for a parking pass, so forgive me if I feel entitled to actually having a place – just ONE open place – to park on campus. Hopefully I don’t get a ticket.

How I feel parking. Image Source 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Elena!
    I felt the exact same way when this class started. it is definitely way more work than I thought it would be. However, it helps that the schedule is the same every week. Considering you wrote this the first week, i'm sure you're feeling a lot better about it now.
    The parking is literally ridiculous here, even with a parking pass. There are so many spots open for faculty and none for students. I've parked in a meter spot also, without paying. Shhhh....
    It's going to be miserable when it gets really cold and we have to park miles away from our classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elena! I found the picture that you included in your post very funny. I actually laughed at it because I definitely feel that way too sometimes when I am parking (actually probably more like all of the time). I like that you mentioned in the beginning of the class that you honestly felt overwhelmed with the course load for this class because I honestly did too! It definitely feels nice knowing I was not the only one who felt that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena, long time no see! Anyway, I also was extremely excited about the creative writing aspect in this class, as too much of the writing I do nowadays is purely academic and not nearly as fun as it should be. So three cheers to storytelling!! Haha. On a completely different note, while I do not personally have a car, I feel like EVERYONE complains about parking on campus. If only OU realized how many people actually attend here. . . *sigh*

    I hope all of your various courses are going well! See you around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elena, I couldn't agree more with you about the parking issue at OU, it's terrible! I'm graduating in December and I didn't want to get a parking permit because all my classes start at 10:30 and by that time all the spots are taken! And also they don't sell semester permits like seriously? I hope all your courses go well for you! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete