Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Week 1 - My Favorite Place

My favorite place that I've ever been to is Rome. I was able to go there with a group of theatre students as a freshman in high school, and I instantly fell in love with the city. Of course, when you go to Rome you are surrounded by amazing historical attractions. Our group visited the Colosseum, the ruins of the ancient forum, the Vatican City, St. Peter's Basilica, and the Sistine Chapel - and those were just the highlights! It was amazing to be in a place with such ancient and beautiful monuments.


The Colosseum
Source: Wikimedia Commons 


I also loved the general atmosphere of Rome. Yes, it is a huge tourist area, but there is still a distinctive Italian flavor to it. In the main tourist-y parts of the city we visited various open-air markets, selling everything from fine jewelry to cheap souvenirs and knock-off bags, as well as outdoor food vendors selling delicious produce and baked goods. It was never too hard to find a little restaurant with freshly baked bread, olive oil, and the best pizza you've ever tasted. Then, just outside the main city, the residential areas of Rome are picturesque, full of sandy and orange colored buildings packed closely on narrow streets, giving a cozy, not crowded, feeling. Traveling to and from Rome, we drove through countryside lined with silvery-green olive trees. It was just a beautiful, magical place and I wish we could've stayed longer.



Rooftops of Rome


A typical Roman street

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, Elena! In fact, I really debated about putting Rome on my list (it was so hard to limit myself just to three). I love that city! I think my favorite place is the top of the Spanish Steps in the Villa Borghese where you can look out and see that amazing panorama of the city. I've visited Rome at different times in my life (70s... 80s... 90s... and the last time was in 2005, and every visit was such a pleasure)... I sure hope I will get to go back there again. And I hope you will too!!!

    ReplyDelete