Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week 2 Storytelling: The Break Room



The Court of Lahore, August Schoefft Source


I slid quietly into my usual spot in the break room, tucked away in a shadowy corner far from the hustle and bustle, happily ignored by the other servants and staff. It was the perfect spot to lurk unseen, watching the goings-on and hearing the freshest scraps of rumor and gossip that floated from the king's palace throughout the city of Ayodhya. Today the entire city was in an uproar; every man, woman, and child was consumed with manic energy in making preparations for Rama's coronation. Oh, how ironic, I chuckled to myself. Little did these simple souls know the events already unfolding that would crush their high spirits, the plan that I had set in motion.

It had been most amusing, watching these poor saps. All night, servants rushed about, wondering where the king had gone; wondering if the rumors were true that he had chosen now, of all times, to hole up with one of his wives somewhere; wondering if he would ever come out and if someone should go and check on him, even though it was against custom... oh, how silly and high strung they all were! That chief minister, Sumantra - why, the poor man was an absolute wreck by the night's end. While the blissfully ignorant public gathered merrily outside, the entire palace staff buzzed about with increasing tension; it was a towering pyre ready to ignite at the slightest spark of disaster. And oh, did that disaster come.

Suddenly, Sumantra burst into the room and all the nervous, tittering voices fell silent. I could tell by the greenish pallor of the man's face that he had finally been to see the king - and that my plan had worked perfectly.

Sumantra - valiantly trying to appear calm and casual, goodness me! - pulled aside his chief of preparations. Though he spoke in hushed tones, one could still make out a word here and there in the eerie silence: "...cancel the coronation... king... not well.. Kaikeyi... banished Rama..." It is fortunate that I was well hidden in my corner, for I had to suppress a satisfied grin as I saw Sumantra's confidants recoil in shock at the news they heard. They hustled from the room, and no sooner had they turned the corner than the servants struck up their gossiping with renewed agitation.

"Did you hear what he said?"

"Could this be true? The coronation is off?"

"Did he say that Rama has been banished? That can't be true! And what was that about Kaikeyi? ..."

Oh, that worrisome, anxious buzzing, that discordant din of chaos - it was music to my ears! That smug favorite Rama will not take the throne, that throne my beloved Kaikeyi so rightfully deserves to honor with her son. Good and kind Kaikeyi will take her well-earned place as queen mother, and I as her faithful devotee.

Little by little the nervous gossip turned to panicked consensus and finally devastating knowledge - Rama would not be crowned, but banished to the forests for fourteen years, according to the request of the king's wife Kaikeyi. What's more, the king himself had fallen suddenly ill and could not be reached. Everything fell into utter disarray; the palace was full of people - staff, servants, honored guests and common villagers - who, though moments ago were celebrating, now found themselves plagued with confusion and grief. Oh, the drama! By now I could not help but laugh softly to myself - these poor fools, pinning all their hopes and happiness on that young fool Rama! So, there I was - perhaps one would have thought me mad if he had noticed me, sitting there laughing amid the lamenting crowds. Yet it is indeed I who have had the last laugh in this affair. Surely, nothing now can stop my dear Kaikeyi from rising to glory.

Kaikeyi convinces Dasaratha to banish Rama     Source




Author's Note

As I read the section of the Ramayana in which the news is discovered and spread about Kaikeyi's banishment of Rama, I was interested by the brief mentions of the public and the king's various servants/staff members as they tried to figure out what was going on. This inspired me to tell the story from the staff's point of view - on the one hand, it is an insider's firsthand experience, but they also do not have all the information and must find it out gradually. I also wondered, as I was reading, what happened to Kooni - she isn't really mentioned after the one scene where she persuades Kaikeyi. Putting these thoughts together, I told this story with Kooni as the narrator, watching as the staff becomes aware of the plot she's set in motion. I called it "The Break Room" because I imagined this as the sort of situation you would find in a modern-type break room - all the employees of a large place coming together, milling about, sharing gossip and keeping each other up to speed. It may be a bit anachronistic, but I think it sets the right feeling, and frankly I don't know what would serve as a "break room" in ancient India.

Source: Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic.







6 comments:

  1. Hey Elena! I really loved your story--and I'm not just saying that because I know you, haha. When I was writing my reading diaries this week, I commented (a bit exorbitantly) on how odd it was that Kooni was the one who instigated the banishment of Rama. In fact, Kaikeyi took quite a bit of convincing before she agreed to the plot. And then, after playing a pretty major role, Kooni just vanishes from the epic. . .

    So, with all of that mysteriousness going on, I loved the fact that you looked at how Kooni must have felt at knowing that her plot succeeded. You explained a lot of the big questions I had about her (such as why was she so determined to banish Rama) and used descriptors and dialogue to your advantage. Congrats on writing a really powerful, behind-the-scenes type story!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elena,

    This was a great story! Like you mentioned in your author's note, it was really strange that Kooni was provided with such strong influence on the course of the story, only to turn around and vanish. I really liked how you chose to write from her perspective and give your interpretation of her motives. I also thought that the break room was a perfect setting to watch the chaos unravel. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this! My storytelling this week was also based on Kooni! Great minds think alike, right? Anyway, it seemed to me that Kooni was the true villain of the story, not Kaiyeki. I really like that you told the story from Cuckoo Kooni's perspective. You definitely captured the personality that I saw in her as well. She seemed very demon-like and manipulative to me! I also really loved the setting of the break-room! What a great idea! Your story was very creative and I think you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! Great job on the story Elena! Kooni is definitely the villain of the story and I liked how you presented her in your story with power and detail. You portrayed her personality like ditto. Kudos to you on your creativity and layout of the story. I enjoyed reading it and never could have thought of a better title. Your layout of the break room makes your story more real. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elena,

    Your story is really freaking cool! I would never have thought to tell all of the commotion and craziness that occurred with Rama's banishment from the townsfolk/servants/staff's point of view. Plus, you really tapped into something that i'd been wondering about since I read the original telling: what happened to Kooni? Kaikeyi's selfishness and malice were not completely a result of her own views, thoughts, and wishes. She may not have ever had a problem with Rama being crowned king if Kooni hadn't stepped in and reared her ugly head. In fact, Kaikeyi seemed to be happy for Rama initially, and seemed to believe he would make a good king!
    So what ever happened to Kooni? She was such an integral character for such a brief period of time!

    I thought you did an astounding job with this story and really liked the direction you took it in. It was a pleasure to read, and kept me engaged the whole time. Plus, I loved your title and how that played into your story. It's awesome that you took this into a watercooler conversation type of direction and played on how people love to gossip. They just can't get enough of what is going on in the lives of other people (particularly their bosses).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elena!
    I was excited that you were in my group because your stories are always very interesting. I think it's great that you did your story from the point of view from the staff. I would never have thought about that. Since the readings don't give much indication of how the townspeople or bystanders were feeling, you had a lot of room for creativity. This definitely reminds me of the idea of the classic small town group of people who always have to know what's going on. Especially since Rama is such a public figure.
    If I were in their position, I would be dying to know all the details.
    It was interesting to read the whole time. You did a good job giving a good amount of information without just spewing facts. I felt as though I was standing there with them. It's very cool that you were able to bring multiple voices into this. I would think it'd be hard to do that because it would be confusing as far as who is talking. But somehow, you made it work.
    I look forward to reading more of your stories as the semester goes on. Great job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete