Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Week 7 Storytelling: Unquiet Waters




Sita. Siiiiitaaaaa….

I awoke with a start. “Rama?” I instinctively called out, thinking it was he who had whispered my name in the night. But no, I was not in bed… Where was I? It took a minute for me to comprehend my surroundings. I was sitting in a dry, dead patch of grass, covered in dust and dirt, twigs and leaves tangled in my hair. I realized I was still at the river. Had I fainted? Fallen asleep? Why was it night already?

“Lakshmana?” No reply. “Lakshmana? Sumantra? Wake up!” I struggled to my feet, encumbered by my huge belly. Really, to think that they would fall asleep on the job – when they were supposed to be guarding the pregnant queen, no less! Oh, Rama would give them such a lecturing when we got back to Ayodhya.

“Hello?” It was really not like them to be so careless, particularly Lakshmana. He had always been a courageous and vigilant companion to Rama and me, even during those long, terrible years of exile.

The night was still, heavy with silence, but I felt a chill as the hairs on the back of my neck quivered. Something was not right. “Lakshmana?” My heart began to seize. “LAKSHMANA! RAMAAAAA!!!”

I collapsed back down onto the dirt, sobbing. What was happening? Had Rama abandoned me? How could he do this, after all we’ve been through? Suddenly, the weight of all the years, all the torture and trials I’ve endured, came crashing down on me. I was suffocating. I could not breathe. I was once again in the cruel, iron grip of Ravana – twenty arms locked around my chest, crushing my lungs, ten heads laughing and sneering at me. Only this time, though Ravana was only in my mind, it was worse. Oh, so much worse. This time, I had no hope to lift my soul. The light had gone out. It had abandoned me.

Sita. Siiiiitaaaaa…..

My head snapped up. There it was again – surely I had not imagined that voice! Fumbling about in the darkness, I could neither see nor feel any person, any being whatsoever, beside me. I was surrounded by emptiness on all sides. No one could hear my cries, none but the rocks and the trees and the great flowing river…

The river. No, I was crazy. Delirious with grief. But that voice… it was just like the river’s quiet roar, its strong, eternal whisper. I crept to the shore. I stuck one toe in the water – it was freezing. Nothing. Surely I was just imagining things. Still, I felt an irresistible pull drawing me deeper into the icy depths. I soon had both feet in… I was up to my ankles… up to my knees…

SITA!!!

I started, slipped, and nearly fell headfirst into the murky waters. The voice was sure and clear and all around me – I was certain it was the Ganges herself addressing me. I was overwhelmed. What do you say to a river? I did not know if she was friend or foe, but it seemed I had no one else. “Yes, I am here, Great Ganges,” I whispered into the night. “Enlighten me, teach me… help me.”

Was it my imagination, or did the lapping waters begin to sway, back and forth, ever so gently? The mud curling between my toes was warm, inviting – I sank down further into it. I felt a peace come over me – well, maybe it was just more of a numbness. For once, though, it did not feel as if Rama’s arrows had pierced my heart. The tears stopped falling, and the tracks of past sorrows were washed from my cheeks by the cool caress of the waves.

Come, Sitaaaaa… Come into me… All will be washed, all will be cleaned, all will be carried away…








“Sita! SITA!” I opened my eyes – I had not realized they were closed. How did I get back on dry land? A wild, strange man covered in dust clutched my dripping sari.

“What happened?” For the second time tonight, I felt disoriented, like I had just awoken from a terrible dream. “Who are you?”

“I am Valmiki,” the stranger replied, “and I have just saved your life.”





Author's Note:

I wrote this story about Sita's abandonment. I thought it was really creepy how the Ganges tried to talk her into drowning herself - I mean, Sita's pretty quick to jump to suicide, but this time the river was goading her into it as well. I imagined it as a really spooky, creepy encounter, and so I decided to write a sort of ghost-story, creepy, foreboding version of the events. In the Ramayana in general, suicide is often brought up by women in response to their husbands dying - many characters actually immolate themselves. This practice is treated as something pretty much acceptable. Sita, however, takes this to another level. For one, she contemplates killing herself many times. For example, before she's even married she vows she will kill herself if the man who wins her in her swayamvara is not the man she fell in love at first sight with: Rama (thankfully, it is). Then, throughout her imprisonment by Ravana, she thinks of killing herself in order to avoid Ravana, the pain of separation, etc. This story, though, stands apart even from all the others. For one, instead of self immolation - a standard practice in the Ramayana - Sita contemplates drowning herself. This act seems to show a greater level of sadness and despair, rather than just a quick and efficient end. So, I thought this story in particular really symbolized Sita's depression and pain. A death by drowning would be very painful, cold, terrifying. That shows how Sita felt when she was abandoned.

I also explore Sita's reaction to realizing she had been abandoned by Rama, capturing the pain she must have felt at that moment. I tell this from her perspective. This aspect of the story is not really explored in the Ramayana - Sita seems more like a passive character in the story - things just happen to her. Here, I tell the story from Sita's perspective to give her more agency and to show her struggle. 

Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way



9 comments:

  1. O this is so good!!!! I love the constant calling to Sita throughout the story, it added suspense in such a great way. This is a creative way to tell this story, and I love how she calls out to Lakshmana and Sumantra. It was so realistic. You drew me in. Such a GREAT JOB!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to add that the picture you included was perfect, and placed in a great part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is the best re-telling that I've ever read. Her internal dialogue was perfect, and I think your stories should include lots of this aspect because you are clearly amazing at it. I showed this story to my girlfriend who thought it was the work of an external short story. It was very chilling to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is amazing. You really brought this story to life. The internal discussions of Sita was something I have never seen before. I agree with Jeremy, you are obviously very good at telling stories with this theme, and I would love to read more stories like this. The verbiage and descriptive words were amazing! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this was the best story I have read in a long time! I felt captivated in the story the entire time I was reading it. I really enjoyed the feelings and emotions you put into this story, as well as the suspense! I think it is really cool that you emphasized Sita's feelings of abandonment, it really made me understand the story more and have a different perspective on it. I did a storytelling post a couple of weeks ago about this story and told it from Sita's perspective but in a way that she was very understanding of why Rama abandoned her. I love reading a storytelling post that was about the same story I had done and reading a different perspective on it! Great job, I look forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elena! What happened?! I read your storybook a couple weeks ago and thought that it was so great, then I checked to see who was in my group for the internet assignment and saw that you switched to a portfolio... I thought that your storybook was one of the most original that I had looked at. The idea a different television series was really unique and it worked so well for the stories that you alluded to in your introduction. I especially liked how you incorporated little commercials into your story. Anyway, whether it's in a storybook or a portfolio, your writing is still great!
    As always, you did a really good job recreating this story. Until I read your authors note, it hadn't occurred to me how many times Sita contemplated or threatened suicide throughout the Ramayana. When I retold the story of her banishment, I tried to give it a happier twist by having Lakshmana take Sita to the safest, most beautiful part of the forest. While your version is quite different from mine, I can definitely respect your interpretation of Sita's banishment. I really liked how your story did a better job of depicting the events that actually occurred in the Ramayana, opposed to the idealized interpretation that I came up with. I also liked the way that you personified the Ganges as the one who was tempting Sita to go into the river. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elena! I see that you switched to a portfolio. I bet it saves some time!
    Your story for Week 7 looks great! I absolutely loved it. I was drawn in right away. Your use of detail was awesome and I could picture it all playing out in my head. You did a great job portraying how she might feel and what might be going through her head at this time. I completely felt for her. This was definitely one of the most interesting parts of the reading for me so I was excited to see that you wrote about it. In your author's note you said you saw this as a dark and creepy part and that is exactly how I saw it. You gave the reader the feel you were going for. The picture along with your way with words made it all come together nicely. I'm glad you added her feelings about her situation with Rama as well. There is a lot going on in her life and you managed to her express her feelings about all of it.
    I like how you personalized Ganges as well. It is very creepy that she tries to persuade Sita to commit suicide in her time of weakness.
    The picture you chose works so well. However, you didn't put image information.
    Great job! I will definitely look for more of your stories in the future! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Elena! So I realized that I had not visited your portfolio yet, and realized that this was an atrocity that needed remedied immediately!! And so I flipped over to your blog, clicked on portfolio, and began to read your tale “Unquiet Waters.”

    Firstly, great choice for a name, and well done in correlating the mysterious and poignant imagery of the title with the image you chose. Off to a great start with this story, haha. Secondly, as soon as I realized the story you were telling I couldn’t help but sit up a little straighter and read a little faster. The story of Sita being abandoned is one that really struck a chord with me, in that she had always been loyal and true—and had been proven to be such!—and yet Rama and Lakshmana (and the entire kingdom, really) left her so harshly and unexpectedly, you can’t help but be outraged on her behalf. So great choice here, as well.

    And then onto your story itself. I love your imagery and description. And the way you characterize Sita. And how you add just enough mystery and intrigue into your tale to make it fresh and new. And how realistic your portrayal of Sita and her emotions are. And how persuasive and overpowering you make the call of the Ganges. And how subtle and yet simultaneously immediate your transitions are. And the abruptness of the story’s conclusion. So, basically, I love everything about your story. Fantastic work! I cannot wait to catch up on more of your portfolio, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elena! I really enjoyed reading this story! I think what I found most unique about your story is how well you captured Sita's emotions over her abandonment. I like how you started the story out with her stream of thoughts while discovering that she was abandoned. You really brought the story to life by giving her perspective. I thought it was especially powerful when she had what appeared to be a panic attack, taking her back to her most vulnerable, hopeless moments in captivity. I also found it creepy how the river tried to talk her into suicide, especially when she was so vulnerable. While she was in captivity, she may have felt alone at times, but in her heart she believed that Rama would save her. With that taken away now, it makes sense that she would lose hope. I thought you did a great job of setting an ominous tone. The picture was very appropriate for the tone and plot of the story. I could definitely imagine your story in my head because of all of the little details you included, like the mud curling between her toes. Overall, you did an amazing job! I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete